Natural Factors Zinc Citrate, 15mg, 90 tablets
Zinc is a trace mineral that found in virtually every cell in the body and is a component in over 200 enzymes. Enzymes are molecules involved in speeding up chemical reactions necessary for human bodily function. Zinc functions in more enzymatic reactions than any other mineral. Most enzymes are composed of a protein along with an essential mineral and possibly a vitamin. If an enzyme is lacking the essential mineral or vitamin, it cannot function properly. If zinc levels are low it affects virtually every system of the body due to its central role in so many enzymes. In addition to its role in enzymes, zinc is required for proper action of many body hormones including insulin, growth hormone, and sex hormones.
Adequate zinc levels are absolutely essential to good health. The beneficial effects of zinc are extensive given the fact that it is involved in so many enzyme and body functions. It is especially important to proper immune function, wound healing, sensory functions, sexual function, and skin health.
Although severe zinc deficiency is very rare in developed countries, it is believed that many individuals in the United States have marginal zinc deficiency, especially in the elderly population. The zinc deficiency can be caused by decreased intake and/or utilization. Dietary surveys indicate that average zinc intakes range from only 47% to 67% of the RDA. Marginal zinc deficiency may be reflected by an increased susceptibility to infection, poor wound healing, a decreased sense of taste or smell, and a number of minor skin disorders including acne, eczema, and psoriasis. Some other physical findings that often correlate with low zinc status include: decreased ability to see at night or with poor lighting, growth retardation, testicular atrophy, mouth ulcers, a white coating on the tongue, and marked halitosis.
- Enhances immune system
- Foundation for good over-all health
- Essential for healthy sexual function
Zinc (citrate) .......................................15 mg
- Zinc may decrease the absorption of tetracycline (Achromycin®, Sumycin®) and ciprofloxacin (Cipro®).
- Take any zinc supplement at least 2 hours before or after taking these antibiotics.
- Use of the following drugs increases the loss of zinc from the body or interferes with absorption: aspirin; AZT (azidothymidine, zidovudine, Retrovir®); captopril (Capoten®); enalapril (Vasotec®); estrogens (oral contraceptives and Premarin®); penicillamine (Cuprimine®); the thiazide class of diuretics including chlorothiazide (Diuril® and others), chlorthalidone (Hygroton® and others), hydrochlorothiazide (Esidrix®, HCTZ, HydroDIURIL®, Oretic®, and others), metolazone (Mykrox® and Zaroxolyn®).
- Supplementation may be required to maintain zinc status in people taking these drugs.
Pregnancy and Nursing: Zinc supplementation at recommended levels is considered beneficial during pregnancy and lactation.
Seniors: No special precautions known.
We Also Recommend
(Promotional Item) Webber Naturals 6x Glucosamine & Chondroitin, Extra Strength, 900 mg, 300 capsWN5137-S6
Webber Naturals SuperVision Herbal Formula with Lutein, Special 3-Pack, 600 capsWN7379-S3
(Promotional Item) Webber Naturals 2x Glucosamine & Chondroitin, Extra Strength, 900 mg, 300 capsWN5137-S2
(Promotion Item) 2x Webber Naturals Glucosamine Chondroitin 500/400mg, with Vitamin D3, 300 capsWN5255-S2