Natural Factors Vitamin D3 1,000iu, 180 tablets
Vitamin D supplementation is important because it's hard to get enough during long, dark, northern winters. The elderly have more difficulty synthesizing vitamin D from sunlight, some medications interfere with vitamin D absorption and absorbing calcium which will strengthen bones and prevent fractures.
Vitamin D may be useful in resisting some forms of cancer as well. Breast tissue has receptors for the vitamin D hormone. When cultured outside the body, breast cancer cells do not reproduce as readily and in fact become more normal (differentiate) in the presence of vitamin D. These studies are interpreted as evidence that higher vitamin D levels have an anti-cancer effect on breast cancer cells. There are similar reports concerning prostate cancer and cancer of the large intestine.
Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol from animal source) is the form found in fish oils and eggs, and is produced by sunlight on human skin. Natural Factors vitamin D3 is derived from sheep wool lanolin.
- Aids in the absorption of calcium
- Strengthens bones and may prevent fractures
- Promotes cardiovascular health
- May decrease the risk of multiple sclerosis
Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) ..................1,000 IU (25 mcg)
- The drugs cholestyramine (Questran), colestipol (Colestid), phenytoin (Dilantin), phenobarbital, orlistat (Xenical), and mineral oil all interfere with the absorption and/or metabolism of vitamin D and may require higher doses of vitamin D.
- Corticosteroids like prednisone increase the need for vitamin D.
- Vitamin D supplementation must be used with caution when using digoxin (Lanoxin) and thiazide diuretics.
- Consult a health care practitioner before using vitamin D if you are taking these drugs.
- People who have liver disease, kidney disease, primary hyperthyroidism, sarcoidosis, tuberculosis and lymphoma should consult a health care practitioner prior to use.
Pregnancy and Nursing: Recent recommendations from the Canadian Pediatric Society suggest that pregnant and lactating women get 2,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily.
Seniors: No special precautions are known.
We Also Recommend
(Promotional Item) Webber Naturals 6x Glucosamine & Chondroitin, Extra Strength, 900 mg, 300 capsWN5137-S6
(Promotional Item) Webber Naturals 2x Glucosamine & Chondroitin, Extra Strength, 900 mg, 300 capsWN5137-S2
Webber Naturals SuperVision Herbal Formula with Lutein, Special 3-Pack, 600 capsWN7379-S3
(Promotion Item) 2x Webber Naturals Glucosamine Chondroitin 500/400mg, with Vitamin D3, 300 capsWN5255-S2