Natural Factors Melatonin, 5 mg, 90 sublingual tabs
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is associated with progressive winter depression as the days get shorter. Typically, these individuals feel depressed, slow down, and generally oversleep, overeat, crave carbohydrates and women can experience resulting hormone imbalances such as increased PMS symptoms, in the winter. Improvement progresses as days increase in length. In the summer, these same patients feel elated, active, and energetic. A lack of exposure to full-spectrum natural light appears the most logical explanation as it triggers a reduced secretion of melatonin from the pineal gland and an increased secretion of cortisol by the adrenal glands.
- Use between late afternoon and bedtime.
- Melatonin plays an important role in the induction of sleep.
- Several double-blind trials have shown melatonin supplementation to be very effective in promoting sleep.
- Low melatonin secretion at night are thought to be an extremely common cause of insomnia in the elderly, while in younger individuals this is less of a factor.
- Melatonin may help shift workers adjust to new sleep patterns when shifts are changing.
- Use during and for 5 days after travel that crosses time lines.
- Several double-blind studies have shown 3 to 5 mg of melatonin to be very effective in relieving jet lag.
- Melatonin supplementation may improve SAD because it not only increases brain melatonin levels, but also because it may suppress cortisol secretion.
- Promotes positive sleep/wake cycles
- Effective in relieving jet lag
- May improve SAD (seasonal affect disorder)
- Helps shift workers adjust to new sleep patterns
- Quickly absorbed and utilized by the body
Melatonin (non-animal source)...........................................5 mg
- Melatonin may enhance the anticancer effects of certain chemotherapy agents.
- Melatonin has been used to be helpful in treating withdrawal reactions from people addicted to benzodiazepine drugs (Valium® and Halcyon®).
- Melatonin levels are typically lowered by beta-blocker drugs like Inderal® and Atenolol® as well as by other drugs used in treating high blood pressure or angina (verapamil, aspirin, and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).
- Melatonin levels may be increased by fluoxetine (Prozac).
Pregnancy and Nursing: As the effects of melatonin during pregnancy and lactation have not been sufficiently evaluated, it should not be used during these times.
Seniors: No special precautions are known.
We Also Recommend
Webber Naturals SuperVision Herbal Formula with Lutein, Special 3-Pack, 600 capsWN7379-S3
(Promotional Item) Webber Naturals 6x Glucosamine & Chondroitin, Extra Strength, 900 mg, 300 capsWN5137-S6
(Promotion Item) 6x Webber Naturals Glucosamine Chondroitin 500/400mg, with Vitamin D3, 300 capsWN5255-S6
(Promotion Item) 2x Webber Naturals Glucosamine Chondroitin 500/400mg, with Vitamin D3, 300 capsWN5255-S2