Contains calcium and magnesium in a 2:1 ratio, a ratio recommended by many health care practitioners. The chelated form is tolerated better by those with allergies to citric products. Betaine hydrochloride is a digestive aid that increases stomach acidity and helps mineral absorption.
Calcium is required for strong bones, teeth and cardiac function. Calcium not only builds strong bones and teeth but maintains bone density and strength. It helps to regulate heartbeat, blood clotting and muscle contraction. Calcium may also prevent certain cancers, particularly colon cancer.
Calcium and magnesium are closely interconnected. Magnesium protects the body from stress, works with calcium in the same body systems, and participates in more than 50 different biochemical reactions. That's why magnesium is so important to bone formation, nerve and muscle transmission, and energy production.
Vitamin D is included because it acts as a hormone that allows the body to absorb and properly use calcium.
Elemental Calcium (Carbonate) ...........250 mg
Uses & Benefits
- Promotes strong bones and teeth
- Helps prevent osteoporosis
- Protects against the effects of stress
- Aids in a restful sleep
- Supports healthy blood cells
- Aluminum-containing antacids are known to ultimately lead to an increase in bone breakdown and calcium excretion.
- The bone building drug etidronate (Didronel®) and tetracycline antibiotics should not be taken within 2 hours of calcium supplements as the calcium may decrease their effectiveness.
- Calcium supplementation may also reduce the effectiveness of the following drugs: digoxin, gallium nitrate (Ganite®), phenytoin (Dilantin®).
- If you are taking any of these drugs, consult your health care practitioner before taking a calcium supplement.