Natural Factors Folic Acid 1 mg, 180 tabs
Many studies show that folic acid also prevents birth defects. Women planning to have children should supplement with 400 micrograms of folic acid daily to prevent neural tube defects such as spina bifida and anencephaly. This amount may also lower homocysteine levels in the blood as high levels of homocysteine are associated with increased risk of heart attack and stroke.
"Folic acid is necessary for proper brain function, being concentrated in the spinal and extracellular fluids. It is essential for mental and emotional health...In surveys conducted it was shown to be one of the nutrients most often deficient in our diets."
Folic acid in supplement form is twice as available to the body as the folate found in foods. The vitamin has a low toxicity. A one-thousand-fold increase in the daily requirement may be consumed with no harmful effects. Daily doses of 15 mg are non-toxic. If excess is ingested, the extra is excreted in the urine.
Birth control pills increase the body's demand for folic acid and may result in folic acid deficiency. Phenytoin (Dilantin) competes with folic acid for absorption.
- Prevents birth defects in unborn children
- Necessary for proper brain function
- Helps lower homocysteine levels in the blood
- Reduces the risk of colon polyps
- Aids in the production of healthy red blood cells
Folic acid (folate) ...........................1 mg
- Estrogens, alcohol, various chemotherapy drugs (especially methotrexate), sulfasalazine (used in the treatment of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis), barbiturates, and anticonvulsant drugs all interfere with folic acid absorption or function.
- Oral pancreatic extracts may reduce folic acid absorption, so they should be administered away from folate supplementation.
Pregnancy and Nursing: The importance of folic acid supplementation (400 to 1,000 mcg) during pregnancy cannot be overstated.
Seniors: No special precautions are known.
We Also Recommend
(Promotional Item) Webber Naturals 6x Glucosamine & Chondroitin, Extra Strength, 900 mg, 300 capsWN5137-S6
(Promotional Item) Webber Naturals 2x Glucosamine & Chondroitin, Extra Strength, 900 mg, 300 capsWN5137-S2
(Promotion Item) 2x Webber Naturals Osteo Joint Ease with InflamEase™, 180 capletsWN5104-S2
Webber Naturals Omega-3 & CoQ10 with Plant Sterols 417/50/370mg, 200 softgelsWN5159